Kiwanis is a global organization dedicated to serving the children of the world
One of the main objects of Kiwanis is to provide, through Kiwanis clubs, a practical means to form enduring friendships, to render altruistic service, and to build better communities.
Over the last several years we’ve provided strong support for Kiwanis International global efforts to address Iodine Deficiency and then to eliminate Maternal and Neonatal Tetanus in the third world.
Our local club has been active in our community for many years with a history dating back to 1930. You may know us best because of the Kiwanis Theatre, or the Kiwanis Bandshell in Tecumseh Park, or the Kiwanis Stadium beside Memorial Arena.
In the Chatham-Kent community we may be best known for the Kiwanis Music Festival that our club has sponsored for the last 76 years. Additional service projects that we’re currently involved with include:
- in partnership with Community Living, we sponsor and support the Aktion club, a Kiwanis service club for adults with disabilities
- our partnership with the Chatham-Kent Public Library (Reading Buddies and Learn-a-Skill,)
- volunteering as Reading Buddies at local elementary schools where we work with children (Kdg – Gr 2) to improve literacy skills which are a critical factor in young children’s development
- tree planting at schools and Camp Cataraqui
- our newest project with the Dolly Parton Imagination Library to provide books for children 0-5 years
Please consider joining us for the opportunity to experience the joy and satisfaction in serving others in our Chatham-Kent community and around the world
For more information on how you can take an active role in community service at a local and worldwide level please contact me.