Kiwanis is a global organization dedicated to serving the children of the world
One of the main objects of Kiwanis is to provide, through Kiwanis clubs, a practical means to form enduring friendships, to render altruistic service, and to build better communities.
Over the last several years we’ve sponsored 400+ children to receive a free book per month in the mail via Dolly Parton’s Imagination Library. We understand how important children’s literacy is for both their future and the future of our communities. Literacy is the foundation for academics, social skills, problem-solving, decision-making, developing independence, and working.
Our local club has been active in our community for many years with a history dating back to 1930. You may know us best because of the Kiwanis Theatre, or the Kiwanis Bandshell in Tecumseh Park, or the Kiwanis Stadium beside Memorial Arena.
In the Chatham-Kent community we may be best known for the Kiwanis Music Festival that our club has sponsored for over 75 years. Additional service projects that we’re currently involved with include:
- in partnership with Community Living, we sponsor and support the Aktion Club, a Kiwanis service club for adults with disabilities
- our partnership with the Chatham-Kent Public Library (Reading Buddies and Learn-a-Skill)
- volunteering as Reading Buddies at local elementary schools where we work with children (Kdg – Gr 2) to improve literacy skills which are a critical factor in young children’s development
- tree planting at schools and in the community
- Dolly Parton’s Imagination Library, providing books for children 0-5 years
- Through First Presbyterian Church, serving breakfast to those in need at the Saturday morning breakfast kitchen
Please consider joining us for the opportunity to experience the joy and satisfaction in serving others in our Chatham-Kent community and around the world.
For more information on how you can take an active role in community service at a local and worldwide level please contact me.